Donate

#

Back to Main Site

Have CIR’s daily reflections emailed to your inbox every single day. Sign up today!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Paul
    Keymaster

Welcome!

Karen
    Participant

Such an open topic especially when related to food addiction/disordered eating. I struggle with this definition as I know that there is a wide open field and I have found that many people have a similar definition but that their actions may continue to be compulsive in nature.
    So I am confused.
    There you have it!
    Peace,
    Karen M in NH

Tim

Karen
    I see your point. Are there any foods In particular that your drawn to than others?

Mark Lisney
    Participant

I think food is a particularly difficult area to deal with as an addiction in the way many other substances and issues are handled in 12 Step recovery. Most addictive substances and behaviors can be addressed by committing to total abstinence. Although difficult and challenging, it is clear and “black and white” what needs to be done: a commitment to abstain, one day at a time. The same approach cannot be applied to food, so the moderation that is desired appears almost counterintuitive and anathema to the 12 Step approach. I am powerless over my “all or nothing” addictive attitude and personality, but it can serve me well when it comes to substances other than food – it has to be nothing! Food, of course, is not something that can be treated in the same fashion. I think my hope lies in listening to others who have successfully applied the Steps to food issues and follow their lead. I have met people in OA rooms who have been able to adjust their eating habits and found healthy ways to achieve some moderation. I also struggle with the “whack-a-mole” syndrome because I have multiple addictive issues that pop up once one area appears to be relatively “settled” for the moment. I suspect that the Beast changes forms when I have had a period of sobriety in one area or another.

Linda Picchioni
    Participant

Great question Karen. And insightful replies. I am a recovering compulsive overeater. For myself, I had to be aware of situations that caused me to eat. I identified several areas that needed to be addressed. I began with one, (not eating in my car) and slowly moved on from there. The hardest situation for me, God has only revealed the solution in the last month.
    Now I need to daily use the tools He has provided to persevere in overcoming this situation.

I received my CIR workbook today! I would like to work with a small group of compulsive eaters on the workbook. I’m think 4-6 at the most. If someone could point me in the direction I need to go to get the ball rolling, I’d appreciate it.

Celeste Robichaux
    Participant

Linda, I am looking for a small workbook group for food addiction too.

I love your idea of committing to not eating in the car. That is a real problem for me.

I look forward to meeting more people seeking recovery from food addiction.

For me, the addictive foods are sugar and flour. And they are everywhere.

Blessings,
    Celeste

Linda Picchioni
    Participant

Celeste – please email me. We are starting to set up for the CIR workbook study for compulsive Overeaters. lspicchioni@gmail.com

Blessings,
    Linda

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.