Donate

#

Back to Main Site

Have CIR’s daily reflections emailed to your inbox every single day. Sign up today!

Sign Up Forums General Discussion Testimonies of Catholic priests & religious in recovery

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Jim
    Participant

Hi all-for nearly all of my time in 12-step recovery, I have been fascinated with reading about and listening to the personal testimonies of different priests and other Catholic religious who have gotten help from 12 step and other recovery programs. Have any of you experienced the same? In the following posts, I’ll talk about some of these individuals who have impacted me the most. Please feel free to do the same! All of them have been open publicly about his or her testimonies, so therefore I am not compromising any of their integrity.

• This topic was modified 12 months ago by Jim.
    Jim
    Participant

FR. EMMERICH VOGHT OP has probably had the biggest impact on me. He’s a Dominican priest in the Western US Province. He started an apostolate called THE 12 STEP REVIEW that features audio talks, pamphlets, prayer cards, and a quarterly newsletter for those in Recovery. Fr. VOGHT grew up in a household where his father was an atheist and a chronic alcoholic, and his mother had a total nervous breakdown. Despite these emotional struggles, Emmerich(who then was known by his birth name James) converted to the Catholic Faith and eventually became a priest. Years into a his priesthood, an older woman parishioner noticed that he was having a lot of problems with anxiety and resentments, and suggested the Al-anon program in order to help him recover from the effects of growing up in such a toxic environment. The results of his recovery in Al-anon inspired him to found the apostolate called THE 12 STEP REVIEW. There are several free talks of his one can view on YouTube as well as sever different resources available at his website https://12stepreview.org/

Faith Ballard
    Participant

Thank you for sharing!

Jim
    Participant

Fr. Sam Lupico from the Archdiocese of Baltimore shares his NA story. Please pray for him as the Archdiocese has removed him from ministry because of an abuse allegation from the 1970s. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5-4Env3R3E&t=20s

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.