Donate

#

Back to Main Site

Have CIR’s daily reflections emailed to your inbox every single day. Sign up today!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Paul
    Keymaster

Welcome!

Tim

Did you know?
    The Sacrament of Anointing of the Sick often called Extreme Unction or Last Rites, is a healing ritual appropriate for those in immediate danger of death and those suffering from physical, mental, or spiritual sickness. When a priest confers this Sacrament, the individual receives from the Holy Spirit the Graces of strengthening, peace, and courage to overcome the difficulties that accompany serious illness or the frailty of old age. Also, the Sacrament formally unites the suffering of the individual with Christ’s Passion and confers a Grace that contributes to the sanctification of the whole Church.

If a sick person who received this anointing recovers his health, he can, in the case of another grave illness, receive this Sacrament again. The Sacrament may be repeated if the person’s condition becomes more severe during the same disease. It is fitting to receive the Anointing of the Sick just before an operation. If circumstances suggest it, the Anointing of the Sick should be obtained following the Sacrament of Penance.

Finally, for those about to leave this life, the Sacrament completes the holy anointings that mark the whole Christian life and fortifies the individual for their final journey. In such cases, the priest will often offer the Eucharist as Holy Viaticum (food for the trip).

As addicts (persons with mental and spiritual sickness), we can request the Sacrament of anointing the sick. Which step in the 12 efforts are up to the person, but I did this once I realized I was powerless over my addictions and that God was the only one who could save me, step 2 (Came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity.)

What do you think about the Sacrament of Anointing of the Sick? Did you know that you did not need to be dying to receive the gift from the Holy Spirit?

Mark Lisney
    Participant

This Sacrament can be applied to the recovering person, just as it can for an individual who may have any other serious illness – even when that illness is in “remission.” We will have a priest come to administer this Sacrament after our in-person meeting at least once a year, and anyone can request it, individually, at any other time. It is important to note that the Church MUST keep a record of the recipients of this Sacrament, but providing a first name and last initial should be sufficient to meet that requirement while protecting the anonymity of 12 Step participants. We held the Sacrament immediately following the regular meeting time so that those who chose to receive could stay and participate. It was a moving experience for the participants and the priest alike.

Tim

Mark

That is a fantastic idea!

Jana

This is very powerful and a great way to take action for Step 2. Looking back, I had to do a lot of work to get to a place where I believed wholeheartedly that God could restore me to sanity. This is a transformative spiritual tool and I will be sharing this with sponsees going forward.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.